Throughout my years at Thompson Rivers University, I have had immense amounts of support from family, my other half, elders, my community, students, instructors, staff, and faculty, which I have accessed multiple services when needed.

My parents and siblings have always inspired me and showed me to embrace my culture, traditions, and education. Their pride of ancestral background that has been passed down to them has made a positive impact on me because they have also combined ways of knowing within an entrepreneurial setting too. Their tenacity was always evident and I valued what they brought forth because their path in life demonstrated to me that I must always move forward, and never give up on what I strive to become.

My other half Casey has always supported my educational endeavour and I told him, “he was the one who inspired me” because when I first saw him, he was a former Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer at the time. His achievement encouraged me as an Indigenous  where I can pursue my greatest ambition in life in order to accomplish my degree, as he did, and still today he continues obtaining required certification, and acknowledgments.

The elders were always there when I needed them to because they had the wisdom and knowledge, I was not aware of because they come from a different generation. Even if it is a story, there is something positive to gain from it. Their knowledge of the past helps me to persevere as they did.

My community has stood behind me also, by advocating my educational goals in order to finish my degree.

Former students who I have had the privilege of knowing, I have witnessed them graduate, and it has given me hope that one day, I too shall follow in their footsteps of crossing the stage! It’s definitely a proud moment to see, and I look forward to when I complete my program to do the same.

As for the instructors, staff, and faculty, they have also made me feel welcome, and help me with my transition into university with their understanding, being lenient when it comes to family emergencies, and to be able to connect to the serves on campus.

It gives me the impression, of encouragement knowing all the support is always there because the insight of this knowledge tells me where I am going, what I have to offer, and to fulfill that personal level of achievement that I deserve. As a former mentor for Aboriginal students on campus, I have transpired and evolved since I have taken it upon myself to becoming an example, and role model by showing an exceptional lifestyle of pursuing an education at TRU, which is relevant to oneself, family and community, as well as Indigenous individuals! In the end, as a former Aboriginal Representative I hope to inspire others First Nation, Inuit, and Métis students to continue to strive with their ambitions by giving back to those in need.